This easy strawberry shortcake recipe is the perfect summer treat. This strawberry shortcake is a refreshing dessert that is not overly sweet. The base is a simple scone recipe topped with a fresh strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
When I think of June, I think of strawberries. Where I live June, is the peak season for strawberries in my family’s strawberry patch. Throughout the month of June, my family is constantly making all sorts of treats with the fresh strawberries – from cakes, jam, tarts, and (my personal favorite) strawberry shortcake!
In my family we will eat strawberry shortcake at any point in the day – for breakfast, as a snack, or for dessert. I love that this recipe is not overly sweet, truly making this classic recipe the perfect, light summer treat!
When I say this is a super easy recipe, I mean it. The base is a simple scone recipe that uses all the basic baking ingredients like flour, eggs, milk, and butter. The scones can be made in a single bowl and either combined into one 8-inch round pan or cut into individual shortcakes (like I did). While the scones are baking make the strawberry sauce which just takes strawberries and a little bit of sugar.
Once the shortcake comes out of the oven, cool slightly and top with the strawberry sauce and whipped cream. This recipe would be delicious with homemade whipped cream, but I used store bought whipped cream for ease.
Are you ready to make this easy strawberry shortcake recipe? I promise you won’t regret it!
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 (1 stick) of butter
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups of milk
- 4 cups of sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Whipped cream (homemade or store-bought)
- For the Shortcake:
- Preheat the oven to 450 F. Lightly grease a pan
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter to combine the mixture and butter until the butter is small crumbs.
- In a speprate small bowl, beat the egg and add the milk and combine. Pour into the flour mixture.
- Stir until all the ingredinats are incorporated.
- Lightly flour your surface and gently pat the dough out until it is roughly 3/4 inches thick. Using a biscuit cuttter, cut out the individual shortcakes.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until the bottom is light brown.
- For the Strawberry Sauce:
- Mash the strawberries until there are just small chunks left stir in the sugar.
- Once the shortcakes have cooled slightly, top with the strawberry sauce and whipped cream.
Store the shortcakes in an air tight container for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
I hope you enjoy this easy strawberry shortcake recipe! Be sure to tag me on Instagram with your shortcake, I would love to see it!