These beginner-friendly scrunchies are the perfect additions to your hair accessories collection. These scrunchies use one stitch and can be made in one afternoon, the perfect instant gratification project. Use up your scraps of yarn and make plenty for yourself and for gifts!
I got a really quick and easy project for you today! These beginner-friendly scrunchies work up in one afternoon and they are a great stash-busting project.
Since this pattern requires little attention, you can make an entire collection of these while watching your favorite show!
Since this is something that goes in your hair, I definitely recommend using a soft yarn, so that it’ll be gentle on your hair and not cause any breakage. I used Lion Brand’s Truboo and I think it’s the perfect yarn for this project. It is so soft and it even has a little shine to it. Or if you’re like me and you like to wear scrunchies on your wrist for an added accessory, this yarn is equally comfortable on your wrist, I can’t recommend it enough!
If you are more of a visual person, I got you! I made a video tutorial on how to make this scrunchie.
Enjoy the free pattern is below!
Ad-free PDF Pattern: Click HERE
- 80 yards of DK weight (3) yarn
- I used less than 1 skein of Lion Brand’s Truboo in White
- Since this is an accessory that goes in your hair, I recommend using a yarn that is soft and that will be gentle on your hair.
- E/3.50mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- 2 thin ponytail holders (or one thick one)
- I recommend using two thinner holders in the instance when one might break and it also keeps the scrunchie from stretching too much.
- This pattern is written in standard US crochet terms.
- The entire pattern is worked in a continuous spiral. This means you will not join at the end of each round. Because of the nature of this pattern, it is not necessary to keep track of the number of rounds with a stitch marker. This pattern is very forgiving and it is alright if your round stitch count is off by one or two rounds.
Skill Level: Beginner
Gauge: Not important
Sl st: Slip stitch
Sc: Single crochet
Ch 10. Wrap the chain around the hair ties (be careful not to twist the chs) and sl st into the first ch. Ch 1.
Round 1: 1 sc in every ch (10). Do not join (see note #2)
Round 2-85: 1 sc in the back loop only of every st around (10).
Sl st into the first sc and fasten off leaving a 12 inch tail. Sew the scrunchie closed by seaming the first and last rounds together.
Weave in loose ends.
I hope you enjoy making this beginner scrunchie! Be sure to tag me on Instagram (@_stitchberry) with your scrunchie, I would love to see it!